Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Shop name explanation

'Otogi no Kuni' is Japanese. 'Otogi' is used in the phrase 'Otogibanashi' which means fairytale. 'No Kuni' means 'the country of'. Therefore, Otogi no Kuni means Wonderland, or Never-Never Land or Otherland (and any other such name).

I chose to use a Japanese phrase because I live in Japan. I chose that particular phrase because although I am a geek of many geeky things, I am primarily a geek of Fantasy. Also, the Kanji (Asian characters) I chose to phonetically represent my name for fun includes the kanji 'togi' (although I use a different pronunciation for my name).

In my mind, Otogi no Kuni represents the places my mind goes when I am daydreaming. I often get ideas for Cafepress designs while I am daydreaming. That is why my shop is named so.

No comments: